March is special for several reasons. Among others, March signifies beginning of Spring season and celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, but let’s not forget another special holiday, International Women’s Day. Since the early 1900s, March 8th is the official date for International Women’s Day – a day celebrating womanhood and paying tribute to women’s indomitable spirit worldwide. Being important on many levels, this day deserves special attention. In order to help you get a head start and into the spirit, we have some great celebration ideas.
However, before these ideas are revealed, let’s provide some historical background that will make your holiday more meaningful:
· This holiday has significantly deep roots. The first Women’s Day was celebrated in February 1909 to honor the 1908 garment factory women workers’ strike in New York. Women protested against the inhumane and unethical working conditions.
· In 1910, at the International Conference of Working Women, Clara Zetkin, leader of Women’s Office for the Social Democratic Party in Germany floated the idea of International Women’s Day. Her submission was unanimously approved.
· In 1913, after much discussion, March 8th was officially known as International Women’s Day.
· During this period, Women in Russia began striking for ‘bread and peace’ after the death of 2 million Russian soldiers in war zones. Their strike continued until the Czar was forced to abdicate and the provisional government granted women the right to vote. According to Gregorian calendar, this historic day was March 8th.
· Today, International Women’s Day celebrates social, political and economic achievements of women worldwide. It is a day to honor and spoil your most special woman with memorable gifts and unconditional love.
Women’s Day Gift Ideas
Whether it is about you or that special someone in your life, a thoughtful gift will definitely make her day extra special and unforgettable. From flowers and chocolates to love notes and cards to gifts from the heart and fine jewelry, there are multiple ways to make her happy. Let’s take closer looks at the most popular ones: Empowering Book or Movie:
Most of us know what the day stands for, but we rarely take out time for the holiday. Why not to give your special lady a gift that lasts forever – knowledge! Get an inspirational book such as ‘I am Malala’ or a movie to mark the event.
· Handcrafted Creativity:
How about a handmade card or a beaded key chain? Handcrafted gifts from the heart have intangible value. Your creative gift is full of emotions, love and thoughts that express your efforts, which makes your gift much more memorable.
· Picture Frame:
· Fine Gemstone Jewelry:
Jewelry is one of the most precious gifts for women. A sapphire pendant or a birthstone ring is simply a cherished gift that lasts for generations. Additionally, as she loves wearing your personalized jewelry every day, it becomes a permanent reminder of your love and appreciation. You can explore an ample collection of gemstone jewelry that matches her style, lifestyle and personality at Angara. The leading jewelry e-Tailer has Personal Jewelers available 24/7, ready to answer your questions and concerns. They are available at your convenience.
Candle light dinner, a walk along the shoreline or a visit to your favorite place, there are plenty of ways to mark this special day. Here are a few ways to make your holiday even more special:
. Charity – Mark the date on your calendar and try donating annually to different charities, because sometimes it is better to give than to receive.
· Cards – Whether it is your mom, best friend, better half or a mentor, a card with your thoughtful words of appreciation will make her day.
· Day Trip – Get away, plan a lunch date and go shop at your favorite stores. There is no better gift than spending time together with your favorite person.