It’s July – the month of the bright and vibrant ruby. For centuries, this gorgeous gem has been held in high esteem by several cultures around the globe. If you’re an owner of stunning ruby jewelry, you might be wondering how you can take proper care of your treasure. Thankfully, you don’t really have much to worry about. Rated 9 on the Moh’s scale of hardness, ruby is one of the hardest gems in the world, which means it’s strong enough to withstand the rigors of everyday wear. Here are a few tips to ensure that your rubies remain glowing for years…
- Though the ruby is quite durable, it may break or chip due to blunt impact, much like any other gemstone. It is advisable to remove your rubies before engaging in gardening and household tasks.
- Because ruby is incredibly hard, foreign matter tends to accumulate on the stone’s surface, giving it a faded or cloudy look. Do your best to keep your jewels away from greasy lotions, perfumes and chemicals.
- If your wear your ruby jewelry on a regular basis, check them periodically to ensure that the stones are securely held in place. In the case of a hard knock, take it to a jewelry expert immediately.
- To retain the shine of your ruby, clean it at home using a mixture of mild soap and warm water. Use a soft toothbrush to gently scrub away the dirt. Rinse with warm water and wipe using a lint-free cloth.
- It is generally safe to clean rubies using an ultrasonic or steam cleaner. The cleaning process may loosen the setting, so make sure that you check the jewelry piece later.
- Place your ruby jewelry pieces separately in soft cotton pouches and store them within a jewelry box. Ruby is a hard substance and very few stones can scratch it, but it can easily scratch softer gems.
Rubies are exceptionally beautiful and if taken care of can be passed through generations as family heirlooms. As mentioned before, they are quite easy to maintain. Just a little care and your ruby jewelry will keep sparkling at all times.