The birthstone for the month of May, emerald is coveted for its refreshing lush green color. This gorgeous member of the beryl family of gemstones has captivated hearts since ancient times. Proper care is all it takes to ensure that the beauty of an emerald lasts for years to come. Emeralds have a rating of 7.5 to 8 on the Moh’s scale and are fairly tough and durable. It is quite resistant to scratching and wear but can be damaged if dropped or knocked against surfaces.
As stunning and hard as they are, emeralds need a little more care than other precious gems. Wondering if you can wear your emerald jewelry on a daily basis? Though diamonds, rubies and sapphires are the best gems for everyday wear jewelry, emeralds too can be worn regularly but with extra care and proper cleaning. Considering the irresistible charm of this gemstone, we’re sure you wouldn’t mind showering a little special attention to your emerald jewelry pieces. Here are a few things to keep in mind while wearing emeralds:
- Avoid wearing emeralds while sleeping, showering or swimming.
- Wear them only after you’ve finished applying your makeup, perfume or hairspray. The chemicals in these products can affect the luster of your gems.
- Refrain from putting emeralds on while engaging in any kind of strenuous activity. This includes sports, household chores and gardening.
- Sudden temperature changes, ultrasonic cleaning and cleaning with chemicals can damage the stone and should be avoided.
- If wearing emerald rings, be careful to not hit them against hard surfaces.
- Clean your emerald jewelry regularly. At least once in a year, have your emerald sparklers professionally checked and cleaned.
- At home, you can clean it with lukewarm water and mild soap. For thorough cleaning use a soft brush. Dry it using a soft and clean micro-fiber cloth.
- Emerald jewelry can easily scratch. It is advisable to store them separately and not with other gems.
- After several years, your emerald jewelry may require re-oiling. This procedure should be performed only by a professional jeweler.
If treated well, emeralds will look beautiful at all times. Proper handling and cleaning will ensure that they last a lifetime and beyond.