Of all your possessions, fine jewelry probably has the most emotional, personal and monetary value attached to it. And this stands true, especially, when it is diamond-studded. The diamonds that you own are often a gift from your special ones to celebrate or mark an important day. Some are also passed on from previous generations within the family making it an invaluable ancestral heirloom. Thus, it is of utmost importance that ornaments adorned with this priceless gem are well-cared for.
So for all the diamond jewelry owners out there, we have come up with six easy tips that’ll help your sparklers stand the test of time.
- Touch carefully: When you touch diamonds, the natural oil from your skin tends to accumulate over them and results in the gem appearing dirty and eventually losing its luster. Even though diamonds can resist water; grease and oil tend to stick to them easily. So, to keep your diamond jewelry spotless, remember not to touch it frequently.
- Be gentle: It is a well-known fact that a diamond is one of the hardest substances on earth, and only one diamond can cut another. But they are not indestructible and can get chipped or fall-off in case of loose settings. So it is suggested that you do not scrub forcefully or apply extra pressure when cleaning. Also instead of pulling, gently disentangle your ornaments if they are caught in your clothes to save the diamonds from falling-off.
- Wear cautiously: When you participate in strenuous activities like exercising, rock climbing or swimming avoid wearing your diamond jewelry to prevent unnecessary damage or loss. The gem will get adversely affected when exposed to harsh chemicals, so it’s best to keep them safe at home. You must also keep diamonds aside before using bleach, hairspray, perfume, lotions and creams to preserve their luster.
- Keep them clean: This is a simple but important step to ensure they retain their sparkle. You can take your diamond jewelry to a professional or it can be cleaned at home too. For the latter, soak the jewelry in soap water for a little while. Then rinse gently, and wipe with a soft cloth. You can use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean the grime that usually gets stuck around the corners of the jewelry piece.
- Safe storage: Even though diamonds do not break easily, they can cause scratches on other gemstones when stored incorrectly. It is recommended that you keep all your jewelry in separate cloth-lined pouches. Investing in jewelry boxes that have different sections for storing different items will also be a wise investment.
- Timely inspections: You can keep your diamond jewelry in good condition with timely inspections. Check the setting of different pieces at regular intervals, and if you notice a loose or broken prong then immediately go to your jeweler. A little caution will go a long way in ensuring your prized possession remains lustrous for years to come.
Diamonds are a thing of immense joy, unbelievable beauty, radiance and opulence. Armed with these six simple tips, you will certainly be able to keep this marvelous jewel brilliant and forever new.